Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sunset first evening.






Going through Lock #15 at sunset on the Mississippi River.














Um...Mr Sulu which button controls the warp drive engines again?
















Home Port Clinton Iowa





Hello "All-y'All"




Due to the lack of internet connection in the remote recesses of the Mississippi, we apologise for the slight delay in posting! It is beautiful scenery but as you can imagine, with the peacefulness of the river comes a lack of technology! We are on our southbound route with 3 days behind us. All systems are working properly with quite the learning curve on what can be used inside the boat with the engines running, with the generator running only, generator off but running the battery inverter...ahhhhhh stop the madness! I just want a shower and make sure the milk does spoil!! (All of you that know my Dad know the tragedy of no milk on board) hahaha.









So... a few details of the last two days: Sunny and about 75 degrees with a slight breeze....I know, we think it is amazing conditions as well and are counting our blessings (As my good friend Marty Haggerty states to me on a regular basis "Good Lord man you have such a blessed life!" We have passed successfully through 7 lock and dams going down river and each time Captain Steve and I get a bit more in sink with procedure. By the way it is very easy to go through the locks....ya pretty much hold a rope while the water goes down and chat with the dock master. I just love the look on the dock masters faces when we mention that we are going to Grand dunes SC. One gentleman here in Missouri stated "great day in the morning, what would posses an individual to travel that far"?!? To my response, "Cheaper that taking the top off and running it down the road on two 18 wheelers"!




We made our first fuel stop at Keokuk Iowa at the Keokuk Yacht club after about 150 miles into the trip. It was refreshing to step onto land and have a few drinks at the bar there! We met two fellow "great loopers" Carl and Glenda Wiese from Iowa who have been traveling with us off and on during our first four days. I have to give a shout out to Mr. Robbie Means who we shared some great river stories with us while we were at Keokuk. My cheeks still hurt from laughing! By the way, just a quick note from that marina, there is a little green button by the fuel stop that winds up the 50' fuel hose! I found it after manually rolling up about 40'. To my dismay and embarrassment, the whole bar watched me huff, puff, and swear while I learned my lesson the hard way....as always!






The trees are starting their fall colors here in Missouri and the river this morning (Thursday) is like glass. We turned on the generator so I could fix up a big breakfast to last us till dinner tonight at Hannibal MO. Per our conversation with Anne Balk, who grew up around the area, she mentioned a nice restaurant with a little bit of history that we will be sure to enjoy. Looking forward to a big ol'e steak and a nice glass of Pinot Noir!!

2 comments:

  1. Marty's right! And...nice Star Trek reference!! :) Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit i like the star trek comment too. also...just be happy you aren't floating down the Mighty Mississippi on a wooden raft...:) Amy

    ReplyDelete