Saturday, October 15, 2011

Farewell to the inland rivers...






























Ghost Tree...Halloween Season!!!































































































































The name of a 90 foot Houseboat in MS.


















Ahhh those southern mansions...

























































































I wonder what would happen if I poke

that gator with this pole? Just kidding.


















WE HAVE SPANISH MOSS!!!





















Hello again faithful followers!


It is time to bid farewell to the spectacular inland river waterways as we are about to reach the mouth of the Gulf at Mobile Alabama on Monday weather and fog conditions permitting. Six winding rivers traveled, filled with views that I had no idea existed. Sheer white cliffs at times dotted with trees with their roots dug in to the rock seeming to hang on for life. At times there was no scenery but winding muddy shoreline, endless river birch and willow trees, and banks spotted with all the wildlife the rivers have to offer along it. A true pleasure to part of the daily life of the river. Communicating back and forth with the skippers aboard barges hauling anything from coal to wood chips was one exciting and sometimes hilarious part of the trip. They have a character, wit, and sometimes a slang that kept me scratching my head..."I have know idea what the heck he just slurred across that radio?!" I said several times. Right when I started to catch on to the lingo, unfortunately barge traffic will be at a minimal from here on out.


We will miss the great times being in harbor and befriending our boat neighbors; and let me tell you, it really is a small world out there!! I did not meet one boater that I did not have something in common with. For example, I spoke with a couple at Demopolis Yacht Basin that had a son-in-law that worked for a construction company in Chicago that I competitively bid against for projects when I lived there?! Those things amaze me and always makes me wonder "Coincidence....I think not!!" We are looking forward to meeting so many more people at future salt water ports!!


I have to give a big shout out to Lora Jane at "Bobby's Fish Camp" at Tombigbee mile mark 118.9! So nice to meet you and hear the family history of a dedicated 55 years of hard work. A FYI to all loopers that may be following this blog, they have four (4) 30/50 amp service stations, gas & diesel, and fresh water at the dock. Not to mention a restaurant with some of the best southern seafood that I could not stop eating!! So make sure you stop in, fuel up, and enjoy before making that final stretch to the Gulf. A shout out to Rene that I met at Columbus Marina back in Mississippi. Thanks for the laughs and the good stories....hmmmm we sure had a lot in common didn't we?! Thank you Captain Todd Lanning for taking the time to, in essence, give navigation class on the do's-n-dont's of navigating all of Florida and the keys. We greatly appreciate that and I have organized all my notes from "class!" I must also mention Todd that the anchor spot on the Tombigbee at "Old Lock #1" was perfect!! It opened up nicely into that little lake after the touch-n-go shallow and narrow entry...spectacular anchorage with almost a full moon that night. A final shout out to Marty and Beth Haggerty and Jessica and Paul Mizenko who have kept me in stitches with texts and pictures since we left port in Iowa!! Keep em com'n.


So we bid the rivers of the central U.S. farewell along with the perfect sunny cruising days so far and the sounds of the creatures in the night at anchor. Coyotes howling, hoot owls calling out, tree frogs singing, fish jumping out of the water at dusk, and the seemingly endless munching sounds of Dad eating Double Stuf Oreo's on deck (that of course will not change throughout the trip). What we hear from our boating companions that have completed the Great Loop that we have only just begun to see so many amazing sights. We get to look forward to harbors and restaurants "lit up in some places along the Intercoastal Waterway like the Vegas Strip." as described by a yacht owner that I was chatting with. Giant cruise ships off your bow, porpoise swimming off the bow as well in the shallow salt water, and eerie swamp marshes of the Okeechobee waterway (if passable). Looks like we have to always be aware of gators from now on out as well per comments we have heard from local fisherman at anchor. For the exact quote: "You may hear a few shotgun shells tonight cause I'm hunting for one gator in particular in this lagoon." I kid you not. "Um...thanks for the heads up." is all I could manage to blurt out. Dad instantly looked down in the water searching for that distinctive snout and those not so beady eyes. I am certain by his expression that when he looked in the water it was not to help out the friendly fisherman on his evening "hunt". Morning came around with no 3:00am blasts from a 12 gague luckily but I do honestly wish him the best of luck with his hobby...right...




God Bless everyone and have a great week!!
















































No comments:

Post a Comment